Growing dahlias in pots
Dahlias can easily be planted in pots as well. If you don't have much space and would like to enjoy dahlias on your terrace or balkony, this is possible! Dahlias can thrive in large containers; tall varieties also need a stake for extra support. With the right growing conditions and a little care, you’ll enjoy your dahlias in pots all summer
Which dahlia varieties are most suitable for pots?
Dwarf and low-growing dahlia varieties are best for container growing. You’ll need a larger pot if you choose a tall species. A single tuber needs about 30 to 60 cm (1 or 2 feet) of space, so you’ll only need 1 dahlia tuber per container. If you plant more dahlia tubers in one pot, they might get too little sunlight.
What kind of pot is suitable for planting dahlias?
Take a big pot of at least 30 cm (12") and preferably of sturdy ceramic or terracotta. Make sure the pots are well-drained, if not make extra holes. Preferably add a small layer of gravel, hydro grains or shards on the bottom.
How to plant dahlia tubers in a pot?
- Fill the pot with potting soil from your gardencentre. You can also mix it with one-third of compost. Let it remain loose.
- Bury a sturdy metal or wood stake in the middle of the pot. It's better to place it now otherwise you’ll risk injuring the tuber and its root system.
- Plant the dahlia tuber 2.5 cm (1 inch) below the surface of the soil. Put the tuber in with the old stem upwards in the middle of the pot. The tubers need to feel the warmth of the sun so don't plant it too deep.
- Water the soil lightly, but don’t soak it. Try using a watering can to dampen the soil instead of blasting it with a garden hose.
- Now wait until the first sprouts will come. If necessary tie the stem of the dahlia flower to the stake with a rope or plastic ring.
When can I put my dahlias in pots outside?
Dahlias are frost-sensitive, so keep the container outdoors only when there’s no threat of freezing temperatures. This is normally end of April or beginning of May depending on your local climate. If you want your dahlias to bloom early, start your dahlias indoors, then move the pots outside when temperatures go up.